Friday, August 14, 2009

Cultivate a Positive Outlook

Here is an exercise I am working on lately. When things seem less than favorable, there are three basic thoughts that cultivate a positive outlook.
1. I have hope...(...in God...that all will be well...etc.) No matter how adverse circumstances look at the moment, I can and I do have hope.
2. I have already accomplished...(...list the things that I've done that I didn't think I could do) When I have to do something that I don't feel I can do, I have to remind myself of all the things I've done that seemed insurmountable to me before I did them, e.g., birth to a baby, cooking a meal with no idea of how many guests would be arriving, raising six children, re-entering college after 30 years, etc. These accomplishments serve as reminders and my outlook changes from uncertainty to focused purpose.
3. I am thankful for...(...list anything I can be truly thankful for at the moment) Reminding myself of all the things I do have, helps me put in perspective my desires for what I don't have. Thankfulness protects me when I become discontent. Whatever I can be thankful for today, will keep me 'in today', enjoying all that is available to me in the present.

1 comment:

Sidney Trobairitz Barthell said...

Yes, yes, and yes. Very important to keep looking ahead, while aware of what we have accomplished so far, by the GRACE of GOD!

You are BACK!! My life is getting very busy, maybe we can catch up sometime.