Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Candle Light Service - 12/24/08

Its been 3 weeks (2 Sundays) since our church has been together. The weather has been unusually 'seasonal' - as it has been across most of the country. Lots of snow and freezing temperatures making travel on the more rural roads dangerous, so we had cancelled our services.
I was beginning to wonder if Redeeming Life Fellowship would be able to have a Christmas Service in its first year of being! We were down to the wire - only one opportunity left - Christmas Eve.
I dreamed and prayed and was looking forward to seeing all our friends and experiencing the beauty of Christmas Eve together.
Well...TONIGHT WAS THE NIGHT AND IT WAS SOOOOO WONDERFUL! ! !
Almost everyone was there! I just couldn't smile big enough! I couldn't hug them enough! I didn't want the evening to end.
Charisa led the carol singing; Kirk (one of our pianists) accompanied her. Elisabeth sang, "What Child is This" -
The Christmas Story was read in sections, each section followed by carols. We had 4 candleabras and the lights of the Christmas Tree (we rent this building, and the tree was there already) to sing by and at the end, we all lit candles while singing, "Silent Night" - just voices. It was soooo beautiful. The feelings of anticipation and fulfillment were rolled into one. You could feel the hearts of the people raised not only in memories of Christmas, but in sincere worship.
Afterward, I passed out Candy Canes tied to packets of Hot Chocolate and Christmas cards. More hugs and Christmas blessings. I didn't want the people to leave! Everyone looked like they were as excited as I was to be together and as he was leaving, one gentleman said, "This is my family!" - and I knew exactly how he felt.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, it sounds wonderful!! If I lived nearby, I would have loved to have joined y'all!! :)

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Happy New Year!
:)Hugs,
Katherine